The “What if Wednesday" school safety initiative is designed to stimulate a conversation about school emergency preparedness. Participants should read the summary of the fictional school safety incident and then answer the multiple choice question with the appropriate response action to be taken for the specific emergency.
Recent What If Wednesdays:
- June 26th, 2019: A severe car accident has occured in the school parking lot during the morning hours of a school day. There are multiple people that sustained serious injuries. What needs to be considered when responding to the incident?
- May 20th, 2019: Your school is evacuated due to smoke in the building. How do you provide messaging for your school community? What information do you provide?
- May 8th, 2019: A confrontation between school staff members has occured on school property, resulting in injuries. What should be considered when issuing communication to the school community and public?
- April 10th, 2019: A student is missing from the classroom. What steps should be taken?
- March 27th, 2019: Lockout, Lockdown, or Shelter in Place? What action would your school take if you were notified of a violent domestic dispute occuring in close proximity to the school?
- March 4th, 2019: A young and potentially armed male is observed walking toward the front of a school during school hours. What steps should you take after observing this?
- February 6th, 2019: Your school is made aware that
- January 9th, 2019: An armed robbery has taken place in close proximity to your school. What actions should you take?
- December 19, 2018: A traffic accident involving hazardous materials occurs in close proximity to the school, requiring immediate evacuation. Reunification will not occur for several hours. What items should be a part of your reunification plan?
- November 28, 2018: A district school bus had been in a collision and there are reports of student injuries. What steps do you take?
- October 10, 2018: A non-custodial parent is attempting to pick up their child at school. What steps should you take?
- September 26, 2018:
- August 15, 2018: Prior to the start of the new year, which items should faculty and staff be familiar with?
- April 11, 2018: A teacher calls the main office to report that one of their students is missing.
- March 7, 2018: The school intercom system announces a Lockdown and you hear what sounds like gunfire.
- January 31, 2018: When determining an appropriate family reunification location, what should you consider?
- January 3, 2018: Frozen pipes and no heat force a building evacuation.